This morning, I read a news story near and dear to my heart. The very first healing work I ever studied was healing for the brain.
The story reports that one in three seniors dies with (not of) dementia. There are currently 5.2 million Amercians with Alzheimer’s and expected to be 13.8 million by the year 2050.
What can you do right now to protect your brain against dementia?
- Have your body tested for heavy metals. I can use kinesiology to determine which metals are present in which particular organs. You can also do lab tests. Aluminum is a well-known problem, but so is any heavy metal that destroys your brain cells, including arsenic, cadmium, lead and mercury. You may have stopped eating the paint on your walls when you were six, but have you eliminated the aluminum pots in your kitchen? Have you talked to your dentist about your mercury amalgam fillings?
- If you have high levels of heavy metals, the best way that I have found to eliminate them is with a far infrared sauna. You could also do IV chelation with your medical doctor. You will want to make sure you are getting adequate glycine, selenium, zinc, magnesium and vitamin E to support heavy metal detoxification. You can do a lab test to determine how well your body is detoxifying. Many people’s bodies have impaired detoxification and need nutritional supplements to upregulate this crucial function. The best all-around detoxification support product that I know about? Biodetox, which is now available in our webstore: http://shop.totalfitness.net/BioDetox-SUPP-01.htm
- Eliminate inflammation by choosing an anti-inflammatory diet. Inflammation is like fire in the body, creating pain everywhere, in your muscles and joints, and destroying cells along the way. Experts estimate that 70 percent of inflammation begins in your gut. DON’T do caffeine, alcohol, tobacco or sugar. It’s easy to remember – nobody in their right mind eats CATS! Also avoid fried foods and gluten. Why is that so important? When you have high levels of inflammation, your body produces cortisol, the No. 1 killer of brain cells.
- Make sure you are getting enough Omega-3 fatty acids. You can’t get enough from food – you would have to eat 15 cans of tuna every day. Your brain needs this source of good fat to stay healthy. Once you are committed to taking fish oil daily, make sure your fish oil does NOT have heavy metals. Using kinesiology, I have found heavy metals – including arsenic, I kid you not – in many of the cheap fish oil supplements. This is not an area where you want to skimp. Years ago, I had the most in-depth nutritional analysis. The doctor at the lab wanted to know where I got my fish oil because most people who get enough fish oil have high levels of heavy metals. I was taking Omega Plus, which you can now purchase in my new webstore: http://shop.totalfitness.net/Omega-Plus-SUPP-07.htm
- Lower your stress level. It’s all about controlling your cortisol, the stress hormone destroys your brain cells, makes you fat around the midsection, suppresses your immune system, makes you forgetful and depressed…oh yes, and what was I saying? Learn how to meditate. Avoid high intensity aerobic exercise where your heart rate exceeds 90 beats per minute. Take up walking, join our yoga and qi gong classes (find out more at http://totalfitness.net/yoga-and-qi-gong-classes/), and get plenty of sleep.
Your brain is the most important organ in your body. It controls literally every function and every body system you have. Take care of your brain as you age and you will find yourself enjoying your entire life. Don’t wait – do it now. Experts estimate that you have to lose about 30 percent of your brain function before the doctors determine you actually have a problem.