How Does Racism Affect Your Health?
How does racism affect your health?
In this interview for the Natural Healing Show for UK Health Radio, medical intuitive healer Catherine Carrigan interviews scientific researcher Tanei Ricks about how racism affects a person’s mind, body and spirit.
I first interview Tanei Ricks a couple of years ago about how to use the chemistry behind the law of attraction. You can watch that interview at this link on Youtube.
Following the death of George Floyd under the knee of a Minneapolis police officerand protests across all 50 states, people all over the world are re-examining the effects of racism.
Questions discussed in this interview include:
1. What is racism?
2. How does racism affect a person’s self esteem?
3. How does racism affect a person’s overall mental health?
4. During the COVID-19 pandemic, research shows that people of color across the globe – both in the US and the UK – are disproportionally affected by the virus, both in terms of getting sick and dying. Experts argue there are many reasons for this, including higher incidence of diabetes and heart disease. How does racism affect a person’s immune system?
5. How does racism affect a person’s stress levels?
6. Many white people have faced criticism for proclaiming “I am not a racist.” How do you think can people of all colors can work together to stamp out racism?
7. How can a person of color who has faced racism his or her entire life build healthy self esteem in today’s society?
8. What is the every day discrimination scale developed by David R. Williams, professor of African and African American Studies and Sociology at Harvard University?
9. How have scientific research studies proven that racism affects the health of African Americans?
10. Is racism a disease?
To assess the level of prejudice you personally experience, you can visit this every day discrimination scale developed by David R. Williams, professor of African and African American Studies and Sociology at Harvard University at this link.
In the state of Georgia where I live, researchers looked at a group of African American teenagers over a four year period and found that by the age of 20, those who reported high levels of discrimination had higher levels of stress hormones, blood pressure, inflammation and obesity.
As we as individuals begin to comprehend the effects of our attitudes and behaviors, we can reconsider how we behave both individually and collectively as a society moving forward.
In addition to his work as a post doctoral researcher at the University of Memphis in Tennessee, Tanei Ricks is an entrepreneur who has created a number of online courses that you can learn about on his website.
To learn more about how you can be healthy naturally, follow my interviews for the Natural Healing Show for UK Health Radio on Youtube at this link.
If you find yourself feeling overwhelmed with stress, anxiety and depression at this time of great upheaval in our society, email email@example.com and I will be more than happy to send you a FREE copy of my Amazon number one bestselling book The Little Book of Breathwork.
What is healing? Healing happens when we cultivate empathy and compassion for other people.
To set up an appointment for a medical intuitive reading or healing work, email firstname.lastname@example.org or call 678-612-8816. If you are outside the U.S., please call via WhatsApp. I can work with you from anywhere in the world by phone, Skype or Zoom video conference.